Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

The new year is upon us. Mr. IQ and I had a quiet dinner out and met some friends for a drink too. I celebrated with a chilled Samuel Adams Winterfest followed by plenty of ice water with a twist of lime. Then we watched lots of festivities on television. It's the first time in many years I have stayed up until the stroke of midnight. Happy New Year!

Traditions ~ what folks do to ring in the new year has held my interest this year. I am amazed at the variety of activities people undertake while ringing in the new year. Of course, it's likely the most popular custom in the United States of America is to make resolutions. There is the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California which began in order to celebrate the orange crop ripening. Some people put coins in food for good fortune, consume blackeyed peas for good luck, eat doughnuts (the ring symbolizes coming full circle). In some cultures rice is lucky while in others cabbage (symbolizing paper currency) is eaten. We actually did have doughnuts. How did you celebrate?

New beginnings ~ did you know of Barbara Brackman's new blog to commemorate the anniversary of the start of the Civil War? I was not aware of this until her post today...hmmm, it appears I have a new project already, and it's only January 1. This adventure sounds like a lot of fun with great learning opportunities. Given the belief that the way you begin the year will color the rest of your year it sounds like a year of relaxation, starting new projects and working on current projects will characterize my 2011. Bring it on!

For most of the day I have been turning these pieces

Pieces waiting to be pressed and assembled.
Bonnie K. Hunter's Roll Roll Cotton Boll mystery.
The mystery was finally revealed to its followers on Friday, December 31.

into these blocks.

I selected slightly different colors for my mystery quilt.
Bonnie used red, pink, green, brown and neutral and
I used orange, tan, green, brown and neutral.




Though we did take the dogs on a walk in a light rain early this morning. How can we resist?


We have two westies, Madison (L) and Bozley (R).


Hope you have enjoyed 2011 so far. I certainly have.


~~Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I love your mystery quilt and the colors you are using are terrific!!

    ReplyDelete