Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ringing in the New Year

You cannot plough a field
by turning it over in your mind.

~Author Unknown


I create so many quilts in my mind and begin only a small percentage of them, and finish an even smaller percentage of those. Understandably so, since I have a fondness for English paper piecing. On the upside, I have a variety of projects to choose from when I have time to sew. Perhaps I should create smaller projects?!


Additionally, my workspace is small and I think that makes me resistant to getting the tops together, basting and quilting them. Though I do believe I am fortunate to have a space to sew, however congested it is. Miniature quilts are sure cute ~ that is a definite possibility, or maybe quilting as I go.

My space is not too small, it is just small enough that I shy away from assembling blocks and getting the quilt sandwiched and quilted. Anyhow, I resolve to finish two of my works in progress in 2011 and to better organize my space. I have some ideas about reorganizing and we will see how it comes together. Also, I'll make one Whig's Defeat block (inspiration here, possible pattern here) ...and if I love doing that one block I'll make more. Oh, and play with some wool.

Other quilters with thoughts on ringing in the new year: Bonnie K. Hunter, Kristy, ABCs of Quilting and a site with many links, Elizabeth.

I am grateful to have this week off work. Aside from baking and cooking a lot...I have been working on a little something for a friend's baby boy and am still piecing a few for steps 3 and 5 (have not begun step 6 yet either) of Bonnie's Roll Roll Cotton Boll. This mystery has me completely in the dark. According to the most recent mystery clue we will begin block assembly with step 7 which will be released on Friday...and I am looking forward to the possibility of a bit of a reveal too.

If you're feeling a little like a mystery there are a few New Year mysteries going on here, one here, another here, and yet another here. That should keep us busy! Actually I am not sewing a new mystery to start off 2011. Instead I will continue with RRCB, the Thread Head sew along (which I am doing in honor of the 150th anniversary of the start of the American Civil War) and begin on my list of resolutions.

Best wishes for a healthy, happy and prosperous 2011.

~~Lisa

1 comment:

  1. The flowers you have made are wonderful!
    Your goal for the Whig's Defeat is inspiring. I hope you will share it will us when you have made the block. I am soooooo far behind in the Thread Head SAL but hope to do some catching up this next month.

    ReplyDelete