Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Whig Rose

Nearly two years ago I was fortunate to attend an exhibit "Quilting Through the Ages" at the Santa Ynez Valley Historical Museum and Parks-Janeway Carraige House.  Among the extensive displays was a friendship quilt from Bethel, Ohio dated 1854.  A few of the blocks on the quilt are the whig rose pattern.

This morning I read of the pieced whig rose on Ms. Brackman's Material Culture blog, and I immediately went back to those pictures I took of that quilt to look more closely at the construction of the whig rose blocks.
What do you think?  Hard to tell from a photo that you cannot zoom.  There is *nothing* like studying a quilt in person.  I cannot see enough antique quilt exhibits!  Anyway, after inspecting the few photos I have, the three roses with dark centers seem to be pieced to me.  In the rose on the upper left, I detected piecing seams in the center portion.  In the other two I saw hints of them, but since it's quilted in a cross hatch pattern, it's hard to tell if I am seeing quilting lines or pieced seams. 


One of the many things I love about quilting is I am always learning something!  There are more pictures from that exhibit posted here.


Happy stitching!


~~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment